What are some common tooth hazards to avoid? Although there are various treatments out there for a variety of oral health ailments, it’s best to deal with any problematic situations before they even begin. However, in some situations, damage to your teeth and gums is done very quickly, so you must protect your mouth from any harm that could come your way.
Listed below are some dangers that are often present in our everyday lives that you should avoid or exercise caution with:
– If you participate in any contact sports, make sure to use the appropriate safety gear to not only protect your mouth and jaw from damage but also your overall health as well.
– Some food and edibles may be a bit too hard on our teeth, resulting in cracks, fractures, split teeth, and chips, including corn on the cob, hard candy apples, oversized candy canes, and ice.
– Most types of lip and mouth piercings are made of metal or a hard substance that can easily crack or chip your teeth, or even break off and cause infections, gum damage, and become choking hazards.
– Bad habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco dramatically increase your risk for tooth discoloration, gum disease, and oral cancer.
– Never open anything with your mouth, as this is an easy way to break your teeth or cut your gums.
Depending on your age, oral health, and tooth enamel strength, our dentist at M. W. McConnell, DDS can help you find which tooth restoration treatments will work best for you. Dr. M. W. McConnell and our team would love to see you at our dentist office in Beavercreek, Ohio. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 937-912-0101. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.